Partner Jeff Ziplow was recently interviewed on Fox 61 to discuss the GDPR - the new General Data Protection Regulation, which took effect at the end of May 2018.
The primary purpose of GDPR is to define standardized data protection laws for all EU residents for all member countries. Its objectives are as follows:
- To increase privacy and extend data rights for EU residents
- To help EU residents understand personal data use
- To give regulatory authorities greater powers to take action against organizations that breach the new data protection regulations
- To address the export of personal data outside of the EU
- To require every new business process that uses EU personal data to abide by the GDPR data protection regulations and Privacy by Design rule