BlumShapiro Consulting was engaged by a large art museum in downtown Hartford to perform Project Planning and Management services for an upcoming exhibit launch and renovation. Read more about their challenges and the solutions BlumShapiro brought to the table.
The museum was faced with managing a major renovation project for multiple sections of their facility. It became apparent that the additional responsibilities for managing the project and communicating with the construction team, along with their current responsibilities of operating the museum, quickly became overwhelming for the management team and staff. As a result, the leadership team for the museum realized they needed additional help with project management planning and execution so their team could focus on their core initiatives.
Here are some of the challenges they encountered:
- Needed to plan the Museum’s efforts to coincide with the construction project plan
- Not enough resources in house to maintain current responsibilities and renovation-related project planning
- Additional help was needed for monitoring the renovation progress and coordinating communication between the Museum staff and the construction management team
- The Museum faced tight deadlines for completion before the scheduled re-opening events
BlumShapiro Consulting facilitated project planning exercises with the CEO, CFO and Museum staff. During these exercises clear expectations of the work that would be completed in the time allotted were established as well as, clarity on roles and responsibilities and a process to manage communications and work status going forward.
- Coordinated with Museum staff and the construction team to manage the renovation from the Museum’s perspective
- Monitored and communicated project progress from both perspectives to help ensure that the re-opening events were launched on-time
As a result of the project planning and management provided by BlumShapiro the museum was able to realize multiple benefits that included immediate results and future benefits.
- Both re-opening events occurred on-time as planned
- Increased awareness by the Museum staff for integrating with the construction team to work together and accomplish the overall goals
- A project plan and process was put in place that allowed the Museum to meet the second re-opening event timeline without external help
- Renovation project delays were minimized because of the process and planning that was implemented
- The Museum was able to maintain day-to-day operations during the renovation