The corporate tax department of a global Fortune 100 international manufacturer was struggling to meet the demands of their company’s tax and M&A transactions that were not only growing in number, but in complexity. In order to effectively manage this growing need, they began looking for a project management solution that was able to help find efficiencies in their work streams and provide the following:
- A single integrated system to manage all active and closed tax planning projects
- Highly efficient document search features
- Use of workflow to automate repetitive tasks and track progress
- Timely, accurate and automatic project and portfolio metric reports in an “at-a-glance” format
- Ability to evaluate the portfolio of projects through capacity planning and “what if” analysis
- Accurate and up-to-date project plans for projects that can be efficiently maintained by the tax manager and project team
- Real-time task tracking leading to timely reporting and increased visibility
- Ability to integrate with other Microsoft products currently in use (Outlook, Excel, MS Project)
BlumShapiro’s Project and Portfolio Management group worked closely with the client to understand their unique challenges and needs and recommended leveraging Microsoft’s Project and Portfolio Management (PPM) solution—comprised of Microsoft Project, Microsoft Project Server and Microsoft SharePoint Server.
Based on the capabilities of the Microsoft PPM solution as a comprehensive work management platform—our consultants knew it would not only meet their requirements, but also improve the organization’s project initiation, planning, tracking and collaboration functions.
Once it was determined that the Microsoft PPM solution was the right answer, we worked with the client to configure the Project Server and SharePoint Server content types, lists, project sites, workflows and reports to support the required functionality.
Our consultants also provided role-based training, mentoring and deployment support for all system users, which allowed for the successful rollout and adoption of the new environment.
Once the new Microsoft PPM solution was implemented and training was completed for the corporate tax department, they quickly realized many efficiencies, allowing them to effectively meet their organizations growing needs. The results included:
- Eliminated the need for a manual project close process, saving 3500 hours annually
- Reduced reporting time from hours to seconds, by leveraging enhanced view capabilities
- Integrated templates directly into the system/process reducing the time to produce them by 75%
- Eliminated the need to access multiple systems to access/view project data
- Enabled real-time reporting on a portfolio level, enabling improved management of dozens of projects at the same time, providing the ability to identify issues and trends sooner, decreasing the average project duration by 10%
- Provided easier access and accuracy to critical data and removed manual processes by integrating to the legal entity management system
- Real-time metric reporting allowing reduction in status updating time by 40%
- Improved control of versions reducing rework and mistakes
- Eliminated file size limitations experienced with previous tools
- Provided the ability to automate approvals and reviews of issues, decisions and documents
- Allowed bulk editing, saving administration time