Who We Are
Marcus R. Harwood, CPA
Direct Dial: (860) 570-6474
Fax: (860) 726-7674
Areas of Expertise
Non-Profit Organizations, Educational Institutions, Long-Term Care, Healthcare, Colleges, Accounting & Auditing, Financial Services, IT Controls & Risk Assessment, Transaction Advisory Services
General Experience Highlights
As a partner in our Accounting and Auditing Group, Marcus is responsible for audit planning, fieldwork and supervising staff. In addition to overseeing audit engagements, he performs acquisition-related due diligence procedures. He has extensive experience in serving a wide range of industries, including educational institutions, hospitals, healthcare and foundations.
As a partner in our Healthcare Services Group and Educational Institutions Group, Marcus has extensive experience working with hospitals, long-term care facilities, colleges and universities and independent schools. In serving educational institutions, he interacts with school business managers, audit committees and boards of trustees and is responsible for audit planning, fieldwork and supervising staff. He is a frequent speaker on topics of interest to non-profit organizations and has most recently made presentations on the topics of corporate governance, the Uniform Prudent Management of Institutional Funds Act (UPMIFA) and the impact of Sarbanes-Oxley legislation on non-profit organizations.
Marcus is also a member of BlumShapiro’s Process and Controls Consulting Group where he provides services such as Sarbanes-Oxley compliance, corporate compliance and assessment of business risks. Marcus previously worked as an audit manager at Arthur Andersen LLP.
- Middlebury College ─ Bachelor of Arts in International Politics and Economics
- University of Hartford ─ Master of Science in Professional Accounting
Professional Organizations and Activities
- American Institute of Certified Public Accountants (AICPA)
- Connecticut Society of Certified Public Accountants (CTCPA)
- Investment Committee and Audit Committee
- Eastern Association of College and University Business Officers (EACUBO)
- Healthcare Financial Management Association (HFMA)
- Massachusetts Senior Care Association
- Watkinson School
- Finance Committee, Executive Committee, Treasurer
- National Association of Independent Schools (NAIS)
- Association of Independent Schools in New England
- National Association of College and University Business Officers (NACUBO)